A Doula is a trained professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to a mother before, during and shortly after childbirth to help her achieve the healthiest, most satisfying experience possible.
Women have been helping women birth for all time. Labor is a time to connect mind and body. A Doula helps to facilitate this connection for not only the mother but the partner as well. A Doula’s knowledge of correct body posture during pregnancy, labor position changes as well as breathing and counter pressure techniques can help mother and baby work together for a healthy satisfying birth. Doulas support every type of birth whether unmedicated, medicated, or cesarean, and at home, hospital, or birth center.
An overview of our services:
- Will meet with you and your partner at least once (preferably twice), to become acquainted. We will remain in touch via telephone and/or SMS
- We will explore and discuss your priorities, concerns, and birth plans, with a focus on evidence-based information
- Will be on-call for your birth in the weeks around your due date
- Will provide initial telephone support until we decide it is time for us to support you in-person
- Will remain with you throughout your labor and birth
After the Birth
- Will remain with you for at least one hour after the birth, until you are comfortable, you have established initial feeding, and your family is ready for quiet time together
- We will schedule a follow-up visit within 2 weeks to meet the baby and review the birth